Friday, January 3, 2014

Raphael Tuck & Sons Ltd.

Obviously, I love postcards.  They are tiny windows
 into another time and place.  Some are simple, others 
are exquisite pieces of art.  A few words on a postcard
can express a heart felt sentiment to the lucky 
recipient.  Too bad they've fallen out of fashion.
Lil Red Hen from EMZ-Piney Post has asked where
I get all the wonderful postcards I display on my blog.
All of the postcards are by Raphael Tuck & Sons Ltd.
of London, England.  The business was started in 1866
by Raphael Tuck and his wife Ernestine.  They sold
pictures, cards, story books and postcards.  Eventually,
three of their sons joined in the family business.  During
the postcard boom of the late 1800's and early 1900's
 Tuck & Sons were the most well known publisher.  
Sadly, during the London Blitz of WWII, the company
 headquarters was destroyed, along with much of the 
original artwork. Raphael Tuck brought art into the homes
 of ordinary people all around the world.  Today,
their work is highly sought after by collectors.
~~~~~~~~~ 
Learn more interesting history at:
Raphael Tuck & Sons Ltd. 
Browse the free online database at: 
Tuck Database also listed in my Favorite Places
at the bottom of my blog.
~~~~~~~~~
 WARNING!!!!!
Searching through the 133,584 postcards can 
be addictive, but it's a great place to find holiday 
sentiments for your blog or inspiration for 
your creations.  So, brew a pot and have fun! 
 Which ones will be your favorites??

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I so didn't need to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for picking out great ones for us to see. I have really enjoyed looking at and reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I agee, it can be very addictive. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message. I would love to hear from you.